DANGERS of CARBON MONOXIDE poisoning from WOOD BURNERS:
Last night at HorseHour we had a scare and it was all down to our wood burner. Our carbon monoxide detector went off. What do you do when this happens? Take these 4 steps:
1. Open all the doors and windows
2. Turn off ALL appliances
3. Leave the house IMMEDIATELY
4. CALL the emergency number: Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999. If you use oil to heat your home, call Oftec on 01473 626 298.
Your wood burner flue should be cleaned and checked once a year and ours has been religiously cleaned, but still leaked, so ALWAYS have 2 detectors near your wood burner and gas appliances. The reason for 2 is if one is faulty then you always have a back up.
If you feel ill then seek immediate medical help.
Huge thank you to Jamie the emergency responder who came out immediately and ensured the house was safe to re-enter.
We love our wood burner and generally they are fine, but always have a detector just in case. Stay safe #HorseHour