– Pole work is a great way to strengthen your horse and encourage them to work over there back.
– Its a vital part of training a young horse.
– Poles can be used either on the lunge or when being ridden.
– A really easy exercise to use is having 6 canter poles on the ground, place them 3 three paces apart (9ft) on a circle. If your horse hasn’t done much pole work start with 3 poles and build them up.
– The distance can be altered slightly depending on your horses stride, the idea of the exercise is for them to be confident in there rhythm.
– Once they are balanced and confident you can raise the poles starting with just one side, then building up to both sides being raised. TOP TIP- potties are great for this and can be bought cheaply.
– When doing pole work its a great chance to play with your canter, can you move the canter forward and bring it back to then go back over the poles. It doesn’t matter if your jumping or doing dressage your horse must be responsive to your leg and have different gears.